Technical research papers are considered to be an integral part of education. In particular, when conducting research, one can get the answers to the required questions. In other words, it is a process of gathering information in order to solve current problems, and it increases human knowledge concerning the chosen field of research. Nowadays, technology is an area that evolves within its different aspects and plays a crucial role in every person’s life. There are numerous subjects that with every passing day are added to the field of technology. Thus, technical research papers are essential to cover the information regarding technological inventions and breakthroughs.
Three Basic Tips for Writing Successful Technical Research Paper
- Choose and define the topic
- First, the area of technology is quite rich with a variety of inventions, thus there are a lot of interesting topics to research more in-depth. Because this area is extremely popular among students, the Internet is full of papers and surveys within this field. Therefore, in order to draw the audience’s attention to the paper straight away, it is important to select a topic that has never been discussed before, which is fresh and unexpected to some extent. Although, writing a topic that has already been done to death may also be successful if it is written from a different perspective. However, what is more important, a person should choose the topic that he or she is interested in it and feels comfortable writing about. Know the audience and stick to your message
- There should be a thorough understanding of your audience, its beliefs, and preferences – “Who will benefit when I write my research paper on technology?” While writing a paper, a writer should keep their readers in mind in order to adjust to their educational background. In addition, the purpose is to inform the readers in a way that will also entertain them. It is important to create a strong thesis for the research and focus the paper on it. A clear vision of the paper’s goal and the audience will help in solving the problem and achieving its purpose. Overall, the audience should be convinced that the current problem of the research is interesting and challenging and that it is solved nonetheless. Structure of the paper and related works
The structure is an essential part of every technical research paper. It serves as a foundation for the work and needs to be followed step by step. When all the information is gathered, it should be organized in sections and paragraphs according to its relatedness. Besides, technical papers usually contain figures that are presented as supporting evidence, so different signposts all over the work will help the reader easily navigate the paper. Also, it is suggested to write the introduction in the last place because the process of just describing the paper would be simpler when the rest of the work is already done. What is more important, every research paper should be based on the work of others; there has to be a discussion about whether the ideas of others are relevant to your thesis. Hence, valuable background work may serve as strong evidence for the research paper.
Know Your Audience
All technical research papers should begin with analyzing and finding out your potential audience. It is crucial because your project is written for other people as well. Its purpose is to be helpful to others. That is why you need to study your potential readers even before you select the final topic.
You surely know who is supposed to read it. Take into account their age, interests, possible issues they face, and something of the kind. Your technical research paper is expected to cover an important issue and come up with an effective solution. Do not disappoint your readers!
Research the Topic
After you select the topic for your technical writing research paper, research it. You ought to be 100% sure that you will find enough facts to disclose your topic entirely. There cannot be any semi-solutions. In case you do not have enough evidence to solve the problem, rework the topic or change it for another one.
Write the Abstract Last
Just like a term paper, a research paper introduces the abstract soon after the title page. Its main purpose is to clarify the motivations of the author. Why did he or she choose this topic? What is its purpose? The abstract reveals the main purpose and outcomes. Yet, it must not be written that early!
Why is it so? Although students may have a lot of facts they have gathered during their research, it doesn’t necessarily mean they know the outcome for sure. It frequently turned out that the initial assumptions differed a bit or entirely from what was revealed in the end. That is why you should wait until everything is done. Otherwise, you will spend more time rewriting the abstract.
Make It Readable
All writing technical papers must be readable. We all know that this piece of writing is scientifically-based. It means a writer always researches a complicated issue or phenomenon, which is clear only to a limited group of people. Ideally, you should write a paper that is clear to people who are not familiar with the topic you cover.
That is why your first aim is to provide clear examples for every term used in your paper. Besides, you should give heed to the general readability of the text. These are as follows:
- Keep your sentences short and straight to the point;
- Avoid repetitions;
- Get rid of watery sentences;
- Make smooth and logical transitions;
- Do not over-explain;
- Keep your sentences short.
It is always vital to remember one rule. Research, term, and similar papers must be written mostly in the passive voice. This is the golden law you should never violate! Of course, you may add several sentences, which are written in the active voice. Nonetheless, their numbers should be minimal.
Interpret the Results of Your Project
The last section of your project should summarize the entire project. You have surely mentioned all the outcomes in the previous section. Nonetheless, you have simply introduced them without analysis. The last section of technical research papers always discusses the outcomes. Restate your thesis, mention only the most significant outcomes, and explain their value to your readers.
Mind that it is not always possible to answer all the questions you intended to. Do not be afraid to confess that some of your findings are incomplete. Explain due to what limits you failed to find them. Obligatorily promise to return to those unknown points in the projects that follow.
Revise and Submit It
The last lap in this race is to revise your project. You need to apply your editing and proofreading skills. Your paper is supposed to be free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. It should be readable, informative, and clear. Revise it 2-3 times at the least. Here are our recommendations for revision:
- Read in your head and aloud;
- Read from the last line to the first line;
- Use grammar checkers and editors.
You may also give your technical term paper to other people – your friends, peers, relatives, etc. to receive honest feedback. Ask them to be detailed. Although it is not always easy to withstand critics, this is a necessary evil. It helps to spot the errors omitted by you and improve them.