Dermatology is a field of science that deals with the study of skin, nails, hair and its treatment in case of various complications. Selecting thesis topics in dermatology should be based on the sphere of interest and acquired knowledge obtained during the course. While choosing a particular topic, the researcher should pay attention to the innovative technological therapies that are elaborated to struggle with skin conditions. Thesis topics in dermatology should focus on the analysis of various surgeries, influence of a person’s lifestyle on the skin, and the relation of the skin condition to other diseases.
In this article, you are offered the list of 10 topics acceptable for dermatology theses – one of the research questions is answered for visual reference. Be sure that these dermatology topics are chosen according to the proper procedure that is also explained in this article. Besides, you’ll find 5 simple and effective ways to do research on dermatology topics. So read it attentively paying attention to all the details.
10 Dermatology Topics: Be Open to New Thesis Ideas to Research
Don’t know what to research in Dermatology? Indeed, there are many possible dermatological issues that require a lot of attention on the part of researchers. But it is true that there may be difficulties in choosing a good dermatology topic, especially if you need to write a thesis that amounts to 50% of the overall grade. Among the key problems most students face while selecting a research topic, it is possible to highlight the following ones:
- There is no relevant information because the research topic has been only under close investigation;
- There is too much information because the topic is debatable and every researcher has his/her own point of view.
These 2 issues are taken into consideration while compiling the following list of 10 dermatology topics. It means that enough information is available to you to write a well-researched thesis on Dermatology. Below you’ll find the reliable sources of information.
- The Epidemiological Investigation of Uncommon Skin Disorders:
- Top 5 Risk Factors of Melanoma and Nonmelanoma Skin Cancers;
- The Genetic Test for Uncommon Skin Conditions;
- The Interaction Between Genetic and Environmental Factors for Skin Disorders;
- Genetic Changes within the FLG Gene and Negative Environmental Challenges for a Proper Skin Barrier;
- The Neonatal Skin Care Preventing the Development of AD;
- The Identification of Potentially Novel Skin Disorders within Technological Environment;
- The Interaction of Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Agents for the Improvement of the Skin Barrier;
- Skin Manifestations of Autoimmune Disorders or Side Effects of Medication;
- The Effectiveness of Cosmetic Products in Treating Atopic Dermatitis.
10 Information Sources to Research a Dermatology Thesis Topic
It is vital to have reliable sources of information at hand before you start writing a thesis. Don’t skip this stage and start examining the following sources to write your own thesis:
- American Journal of Clinical Dermatology is a journal presenting the evidence-based articles and clinically focussed studies covering all aspects of dermatology.
- Annals of Dermatology is an official peer-reviewed publication of the latest research outcomes and recent trends in dermatology.
- Dermatology Case Reports Journal is a peer-reviewed journal that includes a wide range of topics in this field including Cosmetic Dermatology, Dermatology, Cosmetic Surgery, skin disorders, Dermatological Oncology, Dermatopathology, cutaneous lymphoma.
- Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology is a peer-reviewed journal covering the latest clinical and experimental research in all aspects of skin disease and its cosmetic interventions.
- Clinical Dermatology and Dermatitis is a peer-reviewed medical journal sharing the useful knowledge of clinicians, medical practitioners.
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology is a peer-reviewed journal containing official and scientific publications and aiming to satisfy the educational needs of the dermatology community.
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology is a peer-reviewed journal that is related to all aspects of cutaneous biology and skin diseases.
- JAMA Dermatology is is a monthly peer-reviewed journal by the American Medical Association that covers the diagnosis and treatment of all possible dermatological issues.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation is an international organization providing the public and the medical community with information about skin cancer. For example, you can examine some skin cancer facts and statistics to support your own research or essay.
- The Society for Melanoma Research is an organization formed by scientific and medical investigators to alleviate the suffering of people with melanoma.
3 Points to Choose the ‘Best’ Topic for a Thesis
Good research depends on many factors, and a well-chosen topic is that you should start with. You can know how to write and edit a thesis properly, but the final quality of the research process will depend on what topic is chosen. Make sure that the following points are applied to your thesis topic:
- Originality. A degree of originality is a key requirement for academic writing. Everyone hears about plagiarism issues at colleges or universities. In the case when you take into consideration the same topic that has been already explored, nobody will punish for that. However, you should keep in mind that it won’t be highly appreciated as well. Try to shed light on the issue from another perspective if you’ve already chosen an investigated matter. Otherwise, you risk not standing out in the academic field. Hopefully, you won’t pursue this path.
- Research interests. Always when you are short of ideas to cover, rely on the research interests – think of what could be interesting for people both in and outside the field of study, and get them excited about your research. In other words, your thesis should lead to answers for big important questions that are in mind of people.
- Manageability. Remember that developing any research idea means investing enough time and energy. However, there are some topics that are easy to consider, but much harder to write on. Think of the simplest way you will do your research, and how you would go about it. As a result, you should press ahead with the simple action plan first. Only then, you can make a final choice.
Although all these points play a great role in choosing a well-run topic for a thesis, you should stay within the proper context of the field of study to answer a research question to the fullest extent – an average idea that is well-executed is much better than a brilliant idea that is executed badly. Remember it and look at the example of writing on one of the dermatology topics.
The Impact of Hormones on the Skin
First and foremost, disbalance of hormones affects human skin that is caused by the number of problems such as consumption of non-organic food, inappropriate diet, and sugar balance, lack of sleep and exercise, and stress. Hormones are deeply integrated into chemical signals created in organs including adrenal glands, ovaries, and thyroid glands that influence other tissues. Estrogen, testosterone, and thyroid are the most important hormones that need to be regulated to have healthy skin and keep the body organism in balance.
Estrogen is primarily considered to be the female hormone that controls the reproductive system and fertility/libido levels. The decline of estrogens leads to the dehydration and poor skin as well as a small amount of blood flow to the skin. The skin becomes thin and sallow losing the accurate lines and healthy look. As a result, the wrinkles appear; the skin around the lips and eyes sags and loses its vibrancy.
To keep estrogens in balance, the person should consume natural foods adding flax seeds and soy to the diet that fasten estrogen metabolism. It helps to prevent the excess level of the hormone and protect the organism from such dangerous disease as breast cancer. Furthermore, herbs involving hops, maca, and black cohosh can also be used to increase estrogen levels in women. Bio-identical hormone therapy under the control of the well-trained professional can also be beneficial to regulate estrogen level.
Testosterone is a principally male hormone that is responsible for muscle and fat gain as well as stimulation of libido. This hormone helps to produce the sebum that is essential to keep the skin moist and nurturing. During the period of puberty and menopause, the levels of testosterone are on the rise that makes the skin too oily. That is why, in the teenage, individuals suffer from acne that may continue in the adult age if it is not treated. To manage hormone, people are recommended to avoid consuming dairy products and eat foods rich in zinc and omega.
The thyroid is another hormone which imbalance can cause dry skin or its thickening with reduction of sweat. On the contrary, the abundance of thyroid results in the smooth, flushed, and sweaty skin. The thyroid imbalance is exacerbated when the patient also faces difficulties with digestion and proper metabolism as well as fatigue. To improve the condition of the skin, one needs to consume fatty acids involving omega-3 that are present in walnuts, salmon, algae, and eggs. The poor diet lacking these fats leads to acne and makes the skin dry.
Now, we are sure our extensive experience and research enable us to reliably offer you the best, and the most current, options available – writing on any topic you wish.
Hopefully, we are useful for you so that you can say, “I manage to do my thesis as expected from me”.