It is known that attitude plays an important role in every aspect of people’s lives. Our attitude is how we see this world, how we behave towards the others and so on. You even can’t imagine how much can simply be changed due to changing attitude to life. A speech on attitude is a conversational form of communication during which a speaker expresses his or her thoughts or emotions concerning the role of an attitude in people’s lives. So a speech on attitude should be lively, emotional, and influential for the listeners. The speaker may use speech sounds as well as gestures to convey the necessary information.
This guide is helpful to prepare a speech on attitude and its forms. Take into consideration all the tips mentioned below for your own speech to say, “I manage to make a speech that is listened to by everyone in the audience”.
Let’s Speak about Attitude!
If you go through some psychology notes on attitude, you’ll see that attitude can be defined as:
- likes/dislikes of an object, person, thing, or event;
- a positive/negative evaluation of people, objects, surroundings, events, world, etc.
The ABC model of attitude is comprised of 3 components:
- Affective component focuses on a person’s feelings/emotions about an object/person. For example: “I am afraid of snakes”.
- Behavioral (or conative) component focuses on the way of a person’s behavior. For example: “I will avoid walking across the prairie and scream if I see a snake”.
- Cognitive component involves a person’s belief/knowledge about an object/person. For example: “I believe snakes are dangerous because of their poison”.
It is important to know a person’s attitude to predict his/her behavior. Let’s examine your attitude toward different objects and situations:
- What are your attitudes toward snakes and other animals?
- How do you treat today’s education system in your country?
- What do you think about the death penalty?
- What is the best job in the world?
- Should violence on social media be regulated?
- Do you think smoking cigarettes is bad for your health?
All these questions can be asked during your speech on attitude as a way of the active interaction with your listeners. Ask about their opinions, judgments, emotions, and perceptions of some issues. Follow their facial movements to notice their emotions and say, “Now, you feel disgusted” or “You’re angry now”. You will impress your audience with this way of speech delivering. The direct communication always wins in public speaking. Let’s see what more can help you to make your speech memorable.
3 Tips of Great Speaking on Attitude
When we watch famous speakers delivering their speeches on television or in public, they seem so confident that you may wonder: how these great speakers achieve it or they are just born as great speakers. Don’t worry! They all pass through the following steps:
- Determine who you are speaking to. It is a great factor influencing your language and word choice, a tone of speaking, and points you can bring up in your speech. So if you understand that many professors will come to listen to your speech, you can’t use informal language. It may concern phrasal verbs, slang, colloquialisms, etc. However, you should set a relaxed conversation with your audience whether it consists of two people (you and your instructor) or two thousand (students, professors) and whether you’re talking about the latest research studies on attitude or your attitude toward life. In all events, be yourself. Talk directly to your listeners and make a connection with them.
- Prepare a speech in advance. No good speaker starts to speak spontaneously. Yes, it is possible when a wealth of experience is behind a speaker. So if you consider yourself experienced, you’re welcome to present a speech straight away. However, think of the main points you want to touch upon. Make an outline of a speech according to the basic structure:
- Act confident, be passionate and use original ideas in your speech. It is true that public speaking can be terrifying for most. But when you care about your academic performance, you need to find a way to get your voice out. Do it in a confident, passionate and original way. Be yourself without pretending to be someone else. Show your passion concerning the topic you speak about. The speech full of passion is viewed as being more interesting, likable, and easy to follow than the speech delivered by a less passionate uncertain speaker.
It’s Time to Stand Up in Front of an Audience to Speak
“Good afternoon dear …,
Today I would like to talk about the thing which is an important element not only to your student life but life in general. The thing is an attitude. The modern life is a track. The reality is such that people have to keep pace with it, or someone else can get the start of them. On this path, one will face an endless number of sudden hardships, rises, and falls. For that reason, it is important to realize the true value of the ability to monitor one’s attitude and its influence on the effectiveness of one’s performance. The experienced people stick to the most important rule in their lives which says that attitude is everything due to several reasons.
First of all, attitude defines the ultimate outcome. The truth is that anyone out of the list of the most successful people of the world will tell you that their success would not have existed without an appropriate attitude. It does not matter in which sphere a person is involved in, it is an attitude that guarantees the winning line. Therefore, a correct and a desired attitude towards the work one performs is key towards success.
The second reason which proves the importance of the attitude is that it also forms one’s behavior. The human brain is so constructed that the recorded information which is deeply rooted in one’s memory is able to affect the rest of the life of a person, his or her thoughts, and even actions. The point is that one should develop a correct and appropriate attitude to the surrounding world, people, and events. The attitude towards all these things will define the attitude towards a person. The idea of the attitude as a manifestation of the behavior resolves itself to the fact that a smart and successful person tries to educate a kind of perception, an attitude which will also formulate the needed behavior in order to gain that success.
The last thing, however, not least is the attitude as a basis for one’s way of life. Sometimes, one can hear that the attitude is an aspect which differentiates a good and a bad life. Besides, if something happens, and it cannot be changed by any means, there are two options: one can either complain about everything or wisely deal with it.
A correct attitude is a thing which comes through motivation, self-exercising, a will to develop, and sincere enthusiasm. In such a way, a positive attitude enables one to cope with the tasks of diverse difficulty level within the everyday routine. An optimistic attitude divides a person from the negative thoughts which may spoil all the previous efforts and achievements. One should consider a correct attitude as a skeleton for the success which is fed on one’s positive state of mind.”
In summary, the best way to give a good speech is to adopt a positive attitude to public speaking. Instead of saying, “I can’t work on my speech”, say, “I can write my speech effectively for my performance on the stage” and follow all the tips highlighted in this guide. Develop a message that you believe in concerning attitude so that the audience will connect to it as well. Get inspired to make a speech memorable for your listeners.