College sports are very important aspects in student life. Colleges and universities spend a fortune to support interest of children in sports. Many grants and scholarships are established for and a variety of competitions are hold every year in all states. Sport activities in colleges and schools are the best way to keep kids busy and fond of various sport games, popular activities and competitions. Sport activities also positively affect life of students and raise their good qualities such as responsibility, discipline, self-esteem and confidence. Television promotes college sports and broadcasts competitions that are becoming great events in the life of fans. By their turn, parents, teachers and special programs help children go for sports, succeed in this activity, develop positive qualities and win competitions.
The Most Popular College Sports in the USA
American children are trained in different kind of sports every day. They get several training sessions per day in their school schedule. However, there are some sports that provide the greatest excitement and collect thousands of fans at the stadiums.
- Athletics is a kind of sport young children in colleges and schools are trained during a lot of time. Athletic training is considered to be health giving and developmental for students and lessons of athletics are very common in the students schedules in many states. Children are offered various athletics programs that usually become important factors for choosing of school by students.
- College basketball is famous for its sport programs. Trainings are usually held in the mornings while sessions of basketball games are in the evenings. College teams compete with each other within NCAA tournaments. These competitions and sessions are usually held in the fall and winter periods due to their indoor type.
- Baseball is a team game that requires concentrations and excellent playing skills. It provides friendly and positive atmosphere and can be both private and spectacular. This kind of sport is a special for the USA and there are thousands of programs, scholarships and camps for young players. In addition, there national and regional amateur baseball competitions that are organized by NCBA (National Club Baseball Association).
- American football requires strategic thinking and good reaction. It dominates within the USA. For young children it is obligatory to wear special protective equipment such as shoulder pads, football pants and helmets.
- Ice hockey is a favorite winter sport of American students. However, it is more widely played in Canada because of cold climate.
- Soccer it does not have so many fans within the USA as baseball, basketball and American football do. However, more than 40 percent of college soccer players are women.
Individual and dual sports such as swimming, gymnastics, tennis or jogging are also very popular. They are not supported by collegiate organizations such as NCAA or NCBA, but it does not downplay their role.
Each college or university has its strong sport traditions and achievements, so many students choose the college due to its sport programs. However, the major factor for college selection is its geographical location.